Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Financial aid and OSAP

Below are our most frequently asked questions about financial aid and OSAP:

  • Why hasn’t my OSAP been confirmed yet?

    Confirmation of enrolment will begin no sooner than 10 days before the start of classes for the upcoming semester. Your enrolment will be confirmed automatically as long as you meet the following criteria:

    • All required supporting documentation in your OSAP account has been submitted and approved.
    • Your program, course load and year of study indicated on your OSAP application match your school file.

    Once your enrolment has been confirmed, it typically takes 5 to 10 business days for your funding to be released.

  • What is the deadline to apply for OSAP?

    We recommend you apply for OSAP 8 to 10 weeks before the start of your study period. You can also apply before you are accepted into your program. The online application includes information about all of the OSAP deadlines. If you miss these deadlines, your application will not be processed.

    • Application deadline: Submit your OSAP application no later than 60 days before the end of your study period.
    • Required documentation deadline: Our Student Awards and Financial Aid (SAFA) office must receive your required documents (e.g. proof of income, letter of explanation of your financial situation, signature pages) no later than 40 days before the end of your study period.
    • Review deadline: Our SAFA office must receive all OSAP appeals/review requests no later than 40 days before the end of your study period.
  • How do I know if I have an OSAP deferment or am eligible for one?

    You can check your account detail by term on MyOntarioTech and view your tuition fees. Then, check your OSAP account to see the amount of OSAP funding set to be distributed for the semester. If your OSAP funding is greater than your tuition, and you have submitted all required supporting documents, you do not need to take any further action—we will place a deferment on your account for you. If you have less OSAP funding than tuition, you will need to pay the difference by the payment deadline.

    To view your Account detail by term - OSAP students

    1. Go to MyOntarioTech.
    2. Select the Current students box.
    3. In the Paying your fees box, select Account detail by term - OSAP students.
    4. If prompted, login using your network credentials.
    5. Review your account details. 
  • I applied for a bursary, but I have not heard back yet. What do I do?

    General bursary applications will be assessed following the application deadline. All assessments will be completed in the order in which they are received. Prior to this date, applications will not be assessed unless you are facing a financial emergency.

    If you are experiencing a financial emergency, contact us to book an appointment with a financial aid officer.

    View your application

  • How do I apply for bursary?

    We offer a variety of supports to help you finance your education and time at university, including bursaries, donor awards, scholarships and on-campus employment.

    Apply now

    Award applications for the upcoming academic year are posted towards the end of August. In the meantime, you can check out the Student Awards and Financial Aid website for information and criteria for awards that will become available.

  • I am considering dropping to part-time studies (one or two courses) for this semester, but my OSAP has already been released. What do I do?
    Contact Enrolment Services as soon as possible to discuss how dropping courses will affect your status with OSAP.
  • I withdrew from my courses and I see that my refund was sent to National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC). Why did I not receive the refund directly?

    If you withdraw from courses and receive either a full or partial refund for the dropped course(s), the refund must be sent back to the NSLSC to help pay back any funding that was released, for which you are no longer eligible. Make sure to register for an online NSLSC accountthis is where you can view the total amount of loan funding that has been released, as well as any payments that have been made.

  • I would like to take courses during the spring/summer term. How can I receive OSAP for this?

    If you will be studying full-time in the spring/summer semester (three or more courses over the entire semester) and you received full-time OSAP for the fall/winter semesters, you are eligible to complete an OSAP summer extension. This does not require a new online application. The OSAP extension form will be available on MyOntarioTech the week of March 25 in the Student awards and financial aid box and can be filled out and submitted to the Office of the Registrar once you have registered for courses in April. 

    If you will be studying part-time in the spring/summer semester (one or two courses over the entire semester), you are eligible to apply for part-time OSAP by completing a new application online. Make sure to submit all required supporting documents to the Office of the Registrar in order to have your application assessed.

Can't find your question? Visit our Student Awards and Financial Aid website for more information.