Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

International students

NEW International Students

  • I am a new student starting my program online—do I need a study permit now?

    International students do not need a study permit to legally start a program from outside of Canada, however, you will need one to begin studying in Canada once you are able to travel. We strongly recommend that you begin your study permit application process as soon as you can.

    As of July 14, 2020, students starting in Fall 2020 have access to a new two-stage study permit process: The first step is to receive an approval-in-principle, then a final approval after all remaining documents are submitted. This process aims to assist students starting their program online.

    Please note: An approval-in-principle is not a guarantee that you will receive a final study permit approval or that you will be able to travel to CanadaFor more information please refer to the IRCC announcement.


Health and well-being


  • I have a study permit approval or a valid study permit. Can I enter Canada?

    You are exempt from travel restrictions and are able to enter Canada if you are travelling for a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose and if you are an international student who has a valid study permit or was approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020

    If you are travelling to Canada, you will need to complete the Travel to Canada form.  

    Please refer to the IRCC website for more details.
  • What documents will I need when I am at the border if I am travel exempt?

    You will need the following documents at the border if you are travel exempt:

    1. Valid study permit or your Letter of Introduction (IOL)
    2. Valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
    3. Valid passport
    4. Mask to wear to enter Canada
    5. Demonstrate you have a  quarantine plan for 14 days upon their arrival in Canada
    If you would like to speed up your arrival process in Canada and spend less time with border and public health officers, consider submitting your quarantine plan to IRCC through the ArriveCAN mobile app. The app—available for download on the IRCC website—allows you to submit your information easily and securely via the app within 48 hours before arriving in Canada. 
  • What should I expect at the border?

    If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check conducted by an airline before you will be allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

    Please refer to our arrival guide on the Student Life website for more information on what to expect at the airport.
  • What do I need to provide for my quarantine plan?

    It’s mandatory for you to have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada, including:

    • A place to stay.
    • How you will access essential services and medical care, if required.
    • How you will get to your destination.
    • How you will get your groceries.

    We have developed this list to create your own quarantine plan. If you need support with your quarantine plan, please contact your International Student Advisor at

    Alternatively, you can hire Maple Assist to assist you with the following services:

    • A shuttle from Toronto Pearson Airport to Oshawa.
    • 14-day self-isolation at Residence or Motel in Oshawa or Whitby.
    • Emergency assistance for 14 days.
    • Sim card (already activated and placed in your room).

    To book with Maple Assist please email Please note that we do not sponsor Maple Assist. 

  • Can I go home, and what happens to my classwork/assessments?

    International students looking to return to their home outside Canada may do so. The university recognizes the evolving circumstances and limitations on international travel. If you are leaving, you will still need to participate in the online classwork and alternative assessments that will be established by your professors. Note: Elements of your program that are not available online or adapted for completion through alternative forms of assessment may require arrangements, to be determined prior to the beginning of the next academic year.

Financial support

Academic support